Friday, April 9, 2010

Cloth Diaper WASH- AHHH!

Well yesterday was the magic day that I had to wash those cloth diaper inserts (as well as some liners and gpants that got a little poopy). I was nervous about this, thinking that it might make me want to forget about this whole crazy cloth diaper thing. When the time arrived, I grabbed my waterproof bag and headed for the laundry room. I emptied the bag into the washer, dropped the bag in as well, and put it on a cold rinse cycle. Then when that was over I changed it to hot/cold wash and did a full cycle with the tiny bubbles detergent. Then when that was over I tossed them into the dryer on low heat for 60-70 mins. (no dryer sheets)
In the end, there was no stink and hardly a sign of a poop stain on the two that had been pooped on. And it was so easy! Probably easier than racking up a bunch of disposables and taking them out to the trash everytime the container got full. And that is pretty easy too. But less responsible in my opinion. That’s why I’m trying to change my ways.
The one thing that I need to edit is my handmade bum wipers. I’m going to have to stitch around the edges to prevent them from unraveling in the wash. I guess I should have thought of that before, maybe I would have if I had more experience with sewing. Oh well, you live and you learn. I did take a picture of my cute wipies but for some reason I am unable to upload any pictures on here. Anyone else had that problem with wordpress? It says something about the format not being right, I have a hard time understanding why that should cause a problem.
So I apologize for that. I would love to give you all more visuals so my experience could feel/seem more real to you. One thing that is different than disposables for us is that Parker cries to be changed now because eventually all the wetness is too much for him. It only happens some of the time though. The gflappers all have a top layer that helps wick the moisture away and into the other layers. It is very soft against a baby’s bum. Nick and I were both saying how we’d love for our underwear to feel like that!

No comments: