Friday, April 9, 2010

Cloth Diapering thoughts

Well even more time has passed and we’re still doing our gdiapers with cloth inserts. Yesterday we made a trip up to Austin and went to a store there that carries a huge variety of cloth diapers. I felt like I was ADD as the ladies were trying to explain the differences between all the cloth diaper options. I know I already have plenty of gdiapers and inserts to last a while but since I am a curious person and I like to know all the available options out there, I wanted to explore.
Now I am thinking that I shouldn’t have been so woosy to begin with and just ordered the kit offered at jilliansdrawers.com where you get a variety of different types of diapers and then if you want to you can return them and get most of the money back. (Basically it would only cost $10 if you return the diapers) But I can’t justify doing this because I have bought a bunch of the diapers and inserts so I would have to sell some of them and then maybe do the trial.
I was thinking about the cost the other day…when you buy a gdiaper you get the cover and the “waterproof” liner. I’m not completely sure those are waterproof but I know they work for a lot of people. Parker tends to leak at night and occasionally the cover feels moist, so that makes me wonder if they really are “waterproof”. Okay, so as far as cost goes if you buy it at a retail price and there is no special deal then each one of those is about $17. When I looked at some of the cloth diapers yesterday I realized that many of those include the whole system for about the same price. So this means that with a gdiaper you have to buy inserts or the flushies to go inside of them and that costs more money. For the cloth ones, it would range from $5 to $7 approximately. So then the cost has gone up to about $22-$24 for one diaper system (cover, liner, insert). The plus side is that you don’t have to wash the outer liner after each use. But at the store it was about $24 for an all in one system that was organic (bumgenius).
Moral of the story for me is…maybe I made a good choice or maybe not, but if I’d been willing to try other types then I would know for sure.
I found several more cloth diapering sites that I want to put here so I can easily refer back to them. (and maybe they’ll be helpful to someone else as well)
http://www.thestorkwearhouse.com/
http://www.wallypop.net/
http://www.adiaperchange.com/
http://www.diaperdecisions.com/cost_of_cloth_diapers.htm This one is a great resource if you like to see charts and spreadsheets to do comparisons of all types of diapers. They are listed from the least expensive to the most expensive overall.

No comments: