Friday, April 9, 2010

Review of Cloth Diapers

Now that I have used a few different kinds of cloth diapers, I am going to do a review of what I think about the different kinds. I haven't tried every single brand out there but just several different types so this should help people out who are thinking of cloth diapering or considering trying new kinds of cloth diapers.


Here are the kinds that I have tried:
Gdiapers (with disposables, with Gcloth, and with gflappers)
Bumgenius 3.0 (pocket diaper)
Bumgenius Organic (all in one, one size)
Thirsties DUO wrap
Kissaluvs fitted diapers
Prefolds in Gdiapers or thirsties duo wrap
Fuzzibunz sized diaper and the one size diaper
Happy Heinys pocket diapers

The long story short version:
Best overall: Bumgenius (either kind)
Worst: Gdiapers
Best for night time: a double stuffed Fuzzibunz

The longer story:
Really all of the cloth diapers were pretty good. I did start out with Gdiapers and Gflappers and Gcloth but realized that they would often make Parker's clothes get wet. I didn't like this to happen so I decided to try other kinds. I prefer all the other kinds over the Gdiapers but especially like the Bumgenius because they never leak (maybe if I left them on for a few days they might), they have a great fit and adjustability, and they are well made. What I realized was that if I was going to buy a gdiaper then they are about $18 retail and that doesn't include an insert (disposable or cloth). But if I buy a Bumgenius 3.0, they come with the insert already and they are the same price as the Gdipes. To me they are both equally as cute.

I guess some people like the Gdiapers because they can use a cover multiple times without washing- if the baby doesn't have a blowout. But the velcro on them is done cheaply and soon enough you have to put snaps on them instead, sell them to someone who will, or pay for them to have snaps put on.

I invested in a bunch of snap diapers because I thought that since they will last longer than the crappy velcro on the Gs, they will just be a much better option. But not all of them were much better. It is harder to get a good fit with snaps. Especially the happy heinys were not easy to get a good fit on. But I realized that the diapers with the aplix (velcro across the front and tabs) actually were perfect (bumgenius, thirsties). The fuzzibunz I have all are snaps and they are fine but I don't always get as amazing a fit as with the bumgenius diapers.

I bought products from several different stores and the one I most recommend is Cloth Diaper Outlet. They ship amazingly fast! I ordered from cottonbabies a few days before I purchased from them and the cotton babies order arrived almost a week later! (Their warehouse is closer to me than cloth diaper outlet, so it really doesn't make sense!) They have amazing service and quick shipping! Love em!

That is all I am going to say about these diapers for now but if anyone has any questions go ahead and leave a comment and I'll reply as quick as I can. Thanks!

No comments: