Friday, April 9, 2010

Greening Around

Well I did it! What’s that you ask? I bought some green cleaning products! I found them at Lowe’s. We bought a glass cleaner and a bathroom cleaner. Both of them are the Greenshield brand and are USDA Organic! Woo hoo! Nick had to buy more because I just happened to toss out the old ones….oops……no not really. I might actually be able to participate in cleaning the house now!
I tell ya, one thing that happens when you are eating a raw diet is that you get totally detoxed from the inside out! And everything that you thought smelt okay now you cannot stand the minor wiff of! I had a few days where I could smell the chemicals being released that I had on my hair/scalp as a young girl when I got perms. (Remember how much those stink!?) And after all these chemicals kept being released I was so much more aware of all the stink around me so I invested in completely natural haircare and bodycare products. (Next step: natural hand soap)
Now when I say “natural” I’m not talking about a product you buy at the store that has a label that says “natural” on it. Those are not really as “natural” as you think. Even if you buy them at the nearest health food store, you’d be surprised but you’ll find. The government nor any other worthy association regulates the labeling of products called “natural”. In fact the only organization that even conducts testing (that I’m aware of) is the Enviromental Working Group (ewg.org). But they don’t regulate what can be bought and sold in this country. What they do is test and find out how dangerous and toxic different products are. So you can go to their website and look up any personal care product and see what their rating for it is. Phew…so what I’m trying to talk about was….I bought new products….
For hair I bought the full line of Morrocco Method products. Basically you rotate the 5 shampoos. I am loving it! The guy who developed this product spent two decades researching hair care and natural products. This product line is organic, raw, vegan, and holistic! Now how often do you hear that? Is it quite a unique experience though…you don’t get a lather which might appall some since they have always gotten a lather when washing their hair. And it doesn’t have any artificial scents so they smell kind of earthy. The smells don’t bother me at all, they aren’t offensive in any way. I mean that some people would just have to get used to them more than others. I love the scalp massager that came with my shampoos.  It feels so good when I use this to work the product into my hair and scalp. After I do two shampoos with the massager and rinse I have no tangles! Seriously has that ever happened to you- no tangles without using conditioner? I didn’t think it was possible so I ordered the conditioner with it. But now I realize that I don’t have to use the conditioner everyday. I can just use it whenever I feel like it. Fabulous!
I also got the henna to warm up the tone of my hair. They have a full spectrum of this natural hair color product, so if you want to warm up your tones also then I recommend you try it! At first I thought it would permanently stay on my blonde highlights but it has pretty much all washed off by now. I guess I’ll have to find something else to get rid of the highlights and let my hair grow out and look as natural as possible. (Oh why did I get those highlights? They didn’t even turn out good!)
Also I found at our farmer’s market here a couple companies that sell naturally made products, one is a lavender farm and one is an olive farm. They make soaps and oils and other lovely things that smell terrific and not toxic! Yay! We already used one bar of their soap. It smelt so wonderful and now it is gone. We are on the lemon/lavender scented one now which is nice. I decided to try out the 5 element soaps from Morrocco method as well though and they are on their way. (Forgot to say this before but the shampoos are also based on the 5 elements: earth, water, air, fire, ether)
I got a juicer the other day and now I feel like I really need to get onto this composting stuff. (So much produce waste, I might as well make it go on my garden and feed my plants!)  I really don’t know what to do. I might need to buy some more things first. If you are a pro then don’t hesitate to comment and leave me your advice!
Also I am selling some of my gdiaper pants and trying out some other kinds. So far I have just tried the fuzzibunz and love them! We use them for night time and no leaks at all! They are a pocket diaper so I can stuff them up nicely with a bunch of inserts and then if I want I can just toss the whole thing into the waterproof wetbag. So I’m getting some more pocket diapers and some all in ones. I decided to order from this store because I won’t have to pay tax or shipping! Seriously if you want to do cloth diapers those are two things to look out for. If you buy from a company in a different state than you and that has an amount ($50 in this case) that once you spend there you can get free shipping, then you save a lot! When I was getting my cloth inserts I bought from a company that I realized was in Texas because I paid over $12 in tax that could have been avoided if I found someone outside of Texas. But it was probably still worth it for me because I had a discount code. Anyway, I love finding these new ways to save!
Well that’s all the greening around that I’ve been doing for now.

No comments: