Friday, April 9, 2010

The Honeybees

Today I decided that I would google search “bee pollen”. When I invested in some “Superfoods” recently, one of the things I bought was bee pollen. This was supposed to be part of my natural knee cartilage regrowth kit. (The other part is blue-green algae btw.) I wanted to know what else bee pollen could do for me. So I found this website that has a lot of amazing information about bee pollen. I would quote some of it here but it is so amazing that I just have to recommend that you go over there yourself and read it all! When I got down to the video about bees suddenly disappearing I decided to watch it. And then I had to watch the next one, and then I had to watch other similar videos. Then I was just filled with sadness.
Innocent and hardworking, they go around trying to pollinate all types of plants. The food we eat would not grow if bees did not pollinate the plants. When bees land on plants that are sprayed with pesticides, they get a dose of the pesticides/insecticides. The harm these chemicals do is very far reaching. For the bees, it causes digestive malfunction and memory loss which makes it so they can’t find their way back to the hive. Then they die because they cannot digest the pollen. This is so sad because if bees keep dying at these rates, not only will we be out of wholesome natural foods that they help pollinate, but we will not have any bee pollen- which is such an amazing and complete food in and of itself. (Something that you’d already know if you had gone to the link above.)
About a mile away from my house there is a sign that says “honeybee removal” and has a number underneath. I have wanted to go and tear it down for sometime but feel that maybe that would be rude or inconsiderate of me. Perhaps these people aren’t killing the bees, maybe they are aware of the bee shortage and are selling them to bee keepers. (I can only wish!) I kind of doubt it, but I guess if I wanted to be sure I could call the number and ask what they do with the bees.
By the way, since the introduction of so many chemicals into our soils for “pest control” that there has also been a sharp increase in autism in children and Alzheimers in the elderly. Many speculate that these two can be linked because the pesticides sprayed on plants have the same affect on bees. If you don’t believe me, just get on google or youtube yourself!
Also I have heard from several sources that another one of the big killers of honeybees is cell phone towers. Apparently on the ground near the cell phone towers are piles of dead bees. Apparently if we all have a cell phone then we don’t need anybody who does “honeybee removal”. Personally I hate having a cell phone. I want to cancel mine and am debating on when I will do it. It is nice that my cancellation fee will be less now to newly imposed laws. Have you heard about cell phone radiation? It is also harmful to us. If you go here you can find the cell phones with the least radiation.
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has some amazing articles and resources to discover. Stick around their site and be blown away!

No comments: